Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What do you think THIS does to a guy's ego?

Kevin Rose seems like a pretty good dude. I've watched DIGGNATION. I've seen him at a Crushpad event. I like the Apple rumors he likes to propagate. Bottom line - he seems nice enough.

But, holy smokes: www.twitter.com/kevinrose. 62,345 followers! Are you f-ing kidding me??? I mean, that's larger than the population of the city of Palo Alto (roughly 61,200). And, no kidding, every time you hit refresh the count goes up. Basically, there is a small town of Americans follow Kevin Rose's every twitter tweet. What do you think that does to a dude's ego? Shit, if I had 62,000 followers, I'd probably start demanding sacrifices or something. I mean, that's definitely enough people to do some damage. "Bow down to Tekno, little man! Now go turn over that car." ...Seriously though, call me old fashion, but that's a lot of people tuning in to what Kevin just had for lunch. It's pretty insane.

This whole tech celebrity phenomena is an interesting one - for many reasons. But this statistic just fascinates me. Twitter enables an incredible form of voyeurism. And, it is equally incredible that so many people are into it.

Tekno needs a twitter page, although my life may not be as exciting as Kevin Rose's. My lunch options are not nearly as interesting.

By the way, 62,348.

No comments: